White House statement: Eagles decided to abandon their fans

The White House is pushing an interesting version of the events of the last week, putting the blame for the cancellation of the Eagles trip on the team, and doing something that looks an awful lot like trying to drive a wedge between the Eagles and their fans.

Via Jonathan Tamari of Philly.com, an official statement from the White House said that, last Thursday, the team informed them that 81 people were coming for the planned visit. They claim that, on Friday, the team called back to tell them a much smaller number of people would be attending, and also attempted to reschedule the visit for next week.

It will be interesting to see if Lurie has any more thoughts in the future, after a week that has shown beyond a doubt that the NFL erred in thinking they could pacify Donald Trump with their hastily-composed anthem policy.

Our union is disappointed in the decision by the White House to disinvite players from the Philadelphia Eagles from being recognized and celebrated by all Americans for their accomplishment, the NFL Players Association said in a statement issued Tuesday morning. This decision by the White House has led to the cancellation of several player-led community service events for young people in the Washington, D.C. area.

NFL players love their country, support our troops, give back to their communities and strive to make America a better place.

Of course, the player-led community service events for young people could have proceeded. And maybe the better approach would have been to follow through with those plans. Given, however, that the NFL and its teams have decided to choose running and hiding and appeasing and capitulating over standing and fighting, it’s no surprise that the Eagles ultimately decided to just scrap the whole trip, and to hold an OTA day instead.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *